About Us

Boys & Girls Clubs of San Leandro provides a life-changing club experience that assures success is within reach of every young person who enters our doors. All of our members are on track to graduate from high school with a plan for the future, how to demonstrate good character/citizenship, and live a healthy lifestyle.

Our Mission

Our mission is to inspire youth – especially those who need us most. We help them achieve full potential in a safe, positive and engaging environment. BGCSL promotes education, health, and character development.

Leadership

Kim Pace

Chief Executive Officer

Akin Joseph

Chief Operating Officer

Pat Marino

Director of Resource Development

Xouhoa Bowen

Director of Strategic Development

Edgar Torrico

Director of Expanded Learning, SLZUSD

Consuelo Zuluaga

Director of Expanded Learning, SLUSD

Liz Marquis

Accountant

Do Thai

Controller

Klaudia Hermosillo

Administrative Manager

Christina Orozco

Administrative Assistant

Jacquelyn Diaz

Marketing & Communications

Jose Carlos Montesinos

Teen Tech Center Coordinator

Facilities

San Leandro Boys and Girls Clubs offers a wide range of spaces that are perfect for events, meetings, and team building activities.

Facilities full map

Our History

September, 1945
Jerry Lyons, a youth-minded citizen and Father Manuel Alvernaz organized a group of boys into an informal recreational organization. By January 1946, the Club was organized into a Boys’ Club with a membership of 25 boys that increased to 200
September, 1945
July 8, 1947
Articles of Incorporation were filed in the office of California Secretary of State on July 8, 1947.
July 8, 1947
1960
A new building was opened in 1960.
1960
September 23, 1961
A modern Olympic-size swimming pool was constructed and dedicated on September 23, 1961.
September 23, 1961
November 22, 1966
The Boys’ Club entered into a lease with the City of San Leandro for property located at 401 Marina Blvd to construct November 22, 1966.
November 22, 1966
1991
The Boys Club becomes coed, changing its name to the Boys & Girls Club.
1991
1997
Hillside School unit opens.
1997
2007 and 2008
The Boys & Girls Club partners with San Leandro and San Lorenzo Unified School Districts to ASES and become the primary provider for after-school programs.
2007 and 2008
2019
Club completes a $10.5+ million Capital Campaign.
2019
2021
Club reopens its building as a Teen Center and Community Hub.
2021

Our Impact

Pie Chart

90% of youth who come the club graduate from high school and go on to achieve academic success

Pie Chart

90% of Club Members said they could go to a Boys & Girls Club staff member for help in a crisis situation

Find a Location near you

We have Boys and Girls Clubs located all around Alameda County.

Skip to content